[Nsi-wg] rfc8453

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Jul 3 09:59:33 EDT 2019

Hi Afrodite-

Thanks for this.  Yeah, we should engage more with IETF and/or ETSI,
etc.  In the past this has been a bit difficult given lack of time and
to some degree the need to get some of these technologies working and
deployed... These ISGs also tend to be dominated by the commercials who
often have significantly different drivers (and better budgets to
support such activity).    It would be nice if we can actually influence
the Cisco's et al with things like NSI - these really are strong
technologies.

As another aside... at an MEF meeting last summer in Paris one of the
Cisco Dev't Directors was speaking...He said in his talk that Cisco
*_/explicitly wants to work with the pre-standards groups/_* doing the
R&D on these types of protocols and service concepts... His specific
reason was that this gained R&E experience is what helps define good
standards.  Without it, a "standard" is dramatically less likely to be
used - or useful.

I am heading off to the 4th of July weekend... I will ping you next week
when I return...  Maybe you have some time in next few weeks to chat
about this?    We really ought to revisit and refine that ISF
document...  I think GEANT should still be looking and trying to
understand it and its implications in more detail.

Thanks again

Jerry