[Nsi-wg] Service type vs serviceElement tag name

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Fri Sep 27 08:09:16 EDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, John MacAuley wrote:

> The service schema included is related to the service being offered, but
> does not uniquely define it.

You mean the service definition does not define the service :-).

> For example, we may have multiple independent service definitions
> reusing the p2p schema for their service even though they are different
> technologies.

In that case the STPs can represent the technology.

Perhaps a better example is with monitored vs. non-monitored link. In this
case the syntactical description of the two services are exactly the
same, but the semantics of the services are quite different. This can be
solved using serviceType, but it could just as well be solved by creating
a new schema with MonitoredEVTSType that extends from the existing
EVTSType.

I really don't think we need two ways of defining services.

> The serviceType identifies the service description that tells you which
> elements are present in the request (and yes there can be more than one
> element).

I can tell that just fine by looking at the tag of the XML element. SOAP
does this just fine. In fact, all schema validating XML parser does this.

Btw. why is that on all the calls, we have been speaking about the service
definition as there being a single one in a request, and when it pops up
in WSDL it is a list?

If you want the possiblity of defining multiple services, I'd reckon this
construction is much clearer:

<multievtsservice>
   <evts>
   ..