[Nsi-wg] Service type vs serviceElement tag name

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Fri Sep 27 11:25:53 EDT 2013

This was discussed in the weekly NSI meetings but you where not in attendance  I remember going over this with Chin and made a comment that we really needed you to work through some of the mechanics.  It was during this time we agreed that the SD could specify multiple schema elements.

There is always the possibility of defining new schema that encapsulate multiple existing schema elements, but we thought forcing a single would be an unnecessary restriction, especially when building composite services.  Also, we wanted the SD name decoupled from the schema element name so you could specify different parameter ranges/defaults and add attributes not directly related to the schema, while still reusing the existing core service untouched.  At the moment I could add a monitored attribute that flows untouched through the EVTS service logic, but a monitoring system can pick it up from a secondary mechanism (DB, logs, etc) and begin the monitoring process.

Thanks,
John