[Nsi-wg] Propposal for hierarchical error codes

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Thu Mar 22 08:07:11 EDT 2012

Hi everyone

Following the discussion in Oxford, here is a more concrete proposal for
hierarchical error codes.

Some observations / statements:

* An NSA can choose to present a single error code or a hiarchy of errors.

* A requester might get an error code related to an unknown NSA. This is okay.
   How to handle this is undefined, and is - like most error handly - subject to
   policy.

* We need a timeout error code for to indicate a timeout error.

* We probably need a "downstream error" to indicate that the NSA is functioning
   correctly, but that an unrecoverable error happened downstream. It is also
   possible for an NSA to report a "regular" error code along with an error
   tree, in the case that an error happened both downstream and at the NSA
   itself.

Message Structure:

   <ServiceExceptionType>
     <errorId>