[Nsi-wg] Topology virtualisation

Inder Monga imonga at es.net
Wed Jun 30 02:02:56 CDT 2010

This has been a good discussion. The issues brought up so far are (and
my take based on responses as well as my own opinion) :

1. In Topology representation, is there a need to differentiate a GOLE
from a Network/Domain?

     - the consensus seems to be a "No". It seems that topologically
there is no difference between a GOLE and a Domain

2. I need to include a particular domain? How do I specify that to the
path computing engine in NSI?

   - The inclusion of domains can be done via the same concept as an
ERO. You can ask for a partial ERO that puts those particular path
constraints on the path computation decision. You could specify that
you want to use a particular GOLE using a partial ERO. NSI should
support asking for paths with EROs specified (which version up for
discussion)

3. There may be different policies associated with a particular
network (domain, link, open-exchange, etc). How and where does that
have bearing on the whole path computation process?

   - In the tree/chain model, each network domain being transitioned
has the need to do their own intra-domain path computation. In order
to do that, it has to apply the policies of the domain. The Service
Plane architecture allows many different points in the reservation
process to apply local policies. The first is when a user sends a
service request to a NSA Provider Agent. The agent can apply policies
based on egress/ingress ports requested through that domain and accept/
reject the connection. Similarly the PCE model allows for a series of
decisions to take place based on constraints till a workable
alternative is clear.

Distributing policies of links/connections between domains is
inherently a very complex process and should be avoided. I would
rather we focus on network capabilities instead.

Inder