[Nsi-wg] Path Object information/function

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Fri Jan 29 10:03:33 CST 2010

John Vollbrecht wrote:
> The big issue with this in my mind is that adjacency as you define
> depends on a particular topology.  If the topology is hierarchical or
> perhaps different for different providers, then what is adjacent for
> one may not be adjacent for another.    I don't think we want to
> define topology in order to define what we mean by path terms, at
> least if we can avoid it.  Does that make sense?
>
> John

Hey John-
Two points:
a)  The adjacency definition still works even for hierarchical topologies.
b) you cannot describe a "path" without some model of the topology (or
graph) over which that path exists.

If two nodes are connected by a link, then they are adjacent.  By
Definition.   This comes from our definition of a Link as being an edge
in the topology graph and representing a "connection" between two
nodes.   How you define the nodes or what topology they may
hide/summarize is immaterial. And whether that link is predicated over
some underlying infrastructure is also immateral.

In practice, a "hierarchical" node simply hides its internal topology
and only expresses itself as a single virtual node (or a set of virtual
nodes nodes with some abstracted topology.)    From a topological
perspective, those virtual nodes are still "nodes" and still have
"links" to other nodes.  And so, that virtual node is still adjacent to
the other nodes at the ends of those links.  That single virtual node
must still be consulted in order to reserve a path though it.   (Of
course the NSA (or NRM) responsible for that virtual node must still
consult the internal nodes that comprise the opaque internal topology -
but that is invisible to the external agents.)

Even in our multi-layer networks, adjacency is still defined by the
existence of a link between two nodes.   The only precondition on this
is that the link between those two nodes imposes no requirements on
tours (pathfinding) through the topology.   In reality, the topology
must often express more detail than simply physical hardware boxes - for
instance, a Ciena CoreDirector would be expressed as several nodes in
the topology - perhaps summarized into a single virtual node, but the
pathfinding process must still consider, at some level, the functional
elements/resources that exist inside the physical box (virtual node)
that are necessary for establishing a connection through the node.
Indeed, we may need to define totally virtual topological elements that
represent  protocol conversions and adaptations if path finding is to
work end to end...but this can still be done within a very simple graph
oriented, possibly hierarchical, topology model.

So, for NSI's part, we *do* need to make some assertions about how the
NSAs relate to topology.  This will require a topology model.  IMO this
should be a very simple high evel model, but one that nevertheless is
very generalized and can scale well.  Details of the topology database
or the syntax or structure of a topology description or distribution
processes are not our role...but the basic topology environment in which
we expect the NSA to operate is within scope.

If PathFinding is a concern for NSI, then we must necessarilly have some
topological model that we subscribe to.   Topology and PathFInding are
intricately linked - you can not speak of one without some implications
for the other.   For instance, we can not even begin to discuss Tree vs
Chain models without some assumptions about topology.   What are those
assumptions?  We must stipulate a knowledge of and/or responsibility for
some portion of the topology if we expect the NSA to do anything of
substance.   And if you have anything less that one global Master
Control NSA, then you introduce issues about how two or more NSA would
interact to effect a global service - which again implies something
about topology.   So NSI Architecture is fundamentally dependent upon
some basic topology model - we should define and describe that model and
then describe how the NSI protocol(s) operate in the context of that model.

Not to put too fine a point on this, even just specifying End Points for
a connection request stipulates some notion of topology.  What is an
"End Point" or a "Service Termination Point"?   Even just deciding if an
STP is in our domain or a foreign domain implies some concept of what
the topology looks like and how it functions...  Making any intelligent
decision about breaking a connection request into component segments
requires some knowledge of topology.  So what topological properties are
necessary to allow the NSA to function in this manner?   We really can't
talk about Paths or PathFinding without some associated topology model.

So in closing, we should perhaps have a section in the NSI Architecture
doc that clearly and succinctly describes the contextual topology model
over which the NSI is defined and operates.   This needn't be a long
section, and should be fairly high level, but I think explicitly
describing the topo model allows us to describe how NSAs and NRM and
STPs relate to the transport plane we purport to manage.  Thoughts?

Jerry