[Nsi-wg] Path Object information/function

Inder Monga imonga at es.net
Fri Jan 29 10:57:24 CST 2010

> So in closing, we should perhaps have a section in the NSI Architecture doc that clearly and succinctly describes the contextual topology model over which the NSI is defined and operates.   This needn't be a long section, and should be fairly high level, but I think explicitly describing the topo model allows us to describe how NSAs and NRM and STPs relate to the transport plane we purport to manage.  Thoughts?

My assumption had been that these are well understood concepts that need not have a separate section, but now I feel a high-level description is warranted. It would be good to supplement it with external references.

> In practice, a "hierarchical" node simply hides its internal topology and only expresses itself as a single virtual node (or a set of virtual nodes nodes with some abstracted topology.)    From a topological perspective, those virtual nodes are still "nodes" and still have "links" to other nodes.  And so, that virtual node is still adjacent to the other nodes at the ends of those links.  That single virtual node must still be consulted in order to reserve a path though it.   (Of course the NSA (or NRM) responsible for that virtual node must still consult the internal nodes that comprise the opaque internal topology - but that is invisible to the external agents.)

This is how the implementation was in the DRAC project I was involved with. Multi-layer path-finding is implemented in this context as well -  intermediate topology of a lower layer can be abstracted as a virtual node or link at a higher layer. Usually in today's networks, since the layers are fixed/provisioned, narrowing down to an optimal path, within a particular contextual topology is easier. When these multi-layers have agility i.e. topology can be changed on demand at each layer, that is when the optimal path decision process becomes quite complex. In this situation full-understanding and representation of the capabilities and constraints of the virtual nodes within the topological model becomes required. This is a research topic in itself and I would not want to go in such detail in the architecture spec.

Inder