[Nsi-wg] Path Object information/function

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon Jan 25 07:51:32 CST 2010

Hi Jeroen-

Hmm...    I had always assumed that this would be implicit - that a
strict hop PO and Loose hop PO would not really look any different....
But honestly I had not considered whther this was necessary or not.
My thought was that whatever agent was using the Path Object would need
to check it against the topology anyway - in essence perform a Path
Computation between Hop(n) and Hop(n+1).  If they are adjacent, this
would be an almost zero cost check, and if they were not adjacent, a
Path Comp would be needed anyway.  I don't know that being explicit
relieves any agent from checking adjacency, but there may be some error
conditions that are detected if the expectation is explicit in some
way.   There may be a need to indicate when a hop was/is expected to be
adjacent (e.g. a strict hop "as-built" PO that describes a provisioned
path after the fact vs a reserved PO that may or may not be strict)

This also brings up the issue of whether the underlying topology can
change between when a Path Object is created and when that Path Object
is referenced/used.   I.e. What happens if a specified hop no longer
exists?  Or if additional switching points are introduced between say
when a reservation is created, and when the connection is provisioned?

I don't think I have a position on the question to making strict vs
loose explicit - it might be useful or necessary.   Or it may be
superfluous.   Would we specify each particular hop as strict or loose?
Or simply indicate the entire PO as strict or loose? (I'd say hop by hop
would be best).  Perhaps we allow for a boolean indicator on each hop
that says this is "strict hop" to previous hop.   If it is not set it
could be eiterh loose or strict, but if it *is* set, then the hop must
be strict.

Also, as we discuss this, we must formulate what we mean by "adjacent".
IMO, adjacent means adjacent in terms of provisioning - i.e. nominally,
a switching point that must be re-configured as part of provisioning is
a hop that should be presnt in a strict hop PO.   If a switching point
exists only as part of an underlying tunnel connection, and it is not
seen as part of the Path Finding process and not reconfigured as part of
a connection's provisioning process, then it is not part of the PO.

For example, a Ethernet link established between Cern and Argonne would
be seen as a single link in the topology when allocating Layer2
connections.  While there may be lots of switching points that went into
setting up that express Etehrnet connection, as far as the Path Finder
is concerend, there is one ethernet STP in Cern and one in Argonne, and
so provisioning a path between Cern and US over that link would not
indicate all those lower layer switching SDH and Wave and Fiber
switching points.  None of them were reconfigured as part of a
connectionusing that long link.   However, if a connection is built that
adapts the PDU from an Ethernet VLAN into a GFP payload on a sonet link,
then that adaptation point is something that is visible to the Path
Finder in the topology and is something that is reconfigured to
establsih the connection - the Ethernet egress and the GFP ingress STPs
are specifically part of the circuit and should be in a strict hop
PO.    To be complete, that long express Ethernet link would have a
strict PO, but it would be associated with that a connection request
from another agent somewhere, not with any particular connection riding
over the top of it at the time.

THis is probably clear as mud, (:-) but I hope this is useful.

Jerry