[Nsi-wg] Path Object information/function

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Mon Jan 25 13:59:22 CST 2010

Hi Jerry -

Thanks for doing this -- I am guessing it will generate a lot of discussion, but that is good.  I have a number of questions and comments on thinking about this.

1) I would think that there is a difference in loose hop and strict hop if loose hop is optional and strict hop is not.

2) I am wondering if strict hop for NSI purposes includes ingress and egress from resources controlled by NRM.  NRM is the atomic controller for the resource.

3) For some requests the NRM may not want to be advertised/ known by all other NRMs.  Is that possible?

4) I would think that a path might be "tentative" vs configured - tentative being a request and possibly including some options and configured being what is reserved/ granted to the requestor.  I am also thinking that what is configured might be used directly by GMPLS implementations if GMPLS is supported on all resources.  It might also be used in NSI provisioning requests.  I wonder if it would look different in those different cases.

5) Does a path object include a pointer to the agent that could or has authorized it?  This seems a crucial question and determines if that info must be provided outside the path via some sort of db.  I realize that if it is included it might also have such a db, but it could be searched once, especially in the chain-like implementations of provider agents.

-- John