[Nsi-wg] NML topology

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Mon Feb 22 09:58:42 CST 2010

Hello all,

I my opinion one of the main problems that has held up progress in the NSI working group has been our failure to agree on a clear set of NSI requirements for network modelling.  I think we have agreed that these should be a minimal set of extensions to the existing NML model, so this should not be a very large set of requirements.

What has happen is that many alternative proposals for network models have been suggested, without first clearly identifying and agreeing a set of requirements.  I think this has been back-to-front, first we should identify the requirements, and then a group of modelling experts should come up with a proposal for NML extensions.

So with this new approach in mind, I would like to kick of a discussion on what the essential requirements NSI has for network modelling.  These should only include requirements that go beyond the functions that are already supported in the current NML definition.

I suggest the following 10 requirements as a starter:

Requirement 1: The model should be able to describe a grouping of network resources that are owned and controlled by a single provider or NSA. (I will call this a NETWORK for the moment)
Requirement 2: The model should be able to describe a grouping of NETWORKs. (e.g. a federation of providers with shared policy)
Requirement 3: The model should be able to describe resources (ports/points) in a NETWORK that are available for connecting to other NETWORKs.  (I will call this a network connection point NCP for the moment)
Requirement 4: These NPs should be able to be performed at the end of a link that is internal to the domain as well as to ports on a device.  (in my opinion the NCP on a link requirement needs a use-case)
Requirement 5: The model should be able to describe an arbitrary number of layers of logical ports within a NCP.
Requirement 6: The model should be able to describe connectivity between NETWORKs. (I will call this inter network connection (INCs) for the moment)
Requirement 7: The model should be able to describe groups of INCs.
Requirement 8: The resources that make up INCs should have ownership by a clearly identifiable provider. (i.e. resources without NSA ownership are not allowed).  (note: Does this also include the patch cord between providers?)
Requirement 9: The model should allow policy to be assigned to INCs, even where the INC is wholly or partly made up of passive resources.
Requirement 10: The model should be able to fully describe a circuit (i.e. NSI service) that transits the topology.

Any thoughts on these and other requirements would be helpful.

Guy