[Nmc-wg] Review of documents

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Wed Jan 20 08:58:19 CST 2010

Roman Lapacz wrote:
> Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My apologies for the (very) late reply.
>>
>> I have a few generic comments and questions on "Extensible Protocol for
>> NMC" for now and will follow up with some more detailed remarks later.
>> (I planned to have the detailed remarks now, but was not able to finish
>> reading all I wanted).
>>
>> My main point of criticism is that I do not (yet) understand why this
>> protocol was developed; as a naive reader it seems to highly overlap
>> with what has been done with WSDL. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on
>> either, so I might miss the point. WSDL was developed as a generic
>> request-response protocol framework, and so is "Extensible Protocol for
>> NMC".
>>

> NMC schema transformed from Relax NG into XSD format could be used in
> WSDL file to describe all messages. I didn't try it but basing on my
> (limited) knowledge of WSDL it's possible. So I don't see the conflict here.
>
> I understand that WSDL was mentioned here as an example for general
> observation that maybe some existing standard could be used instead of
> NMC. The same comment was raised in Geant3 by people who were not
> involved earlier in pS work. The investigation of Netconf in pS is a try
> to look at this issue and find answers.

WSDL alone is not sufficient for defining working web services, one
needs to define namespaces and XML schema, specific for the domain (NMC
schema for network monitoring in our case).

On the other hand, WSDL can still be used in implementations , together
with NMC schema, to allow automatic generation of client classes, but
this opportunity has not been explored so far.

Best regards,
Nina