[Nmc-wg] Review of documents

Michael Bischoff michael.bischoff at controplex.nl
Wed Jan 20 12:28:20 CST 2010

Hello all,

Are you sure Nina? Afaik a WSDL can be defined with a single method
that takes a document and define that the document needs to have a
NMWG schema?

Alike: http://www.w3.org/2001/04/wsws-proceedings/uche/wsdl.html

Though it does require a xsd or other supported schema type (eg not
relaxng). Now relaxng can be transformed but the transformation isn't
formal/unambiguous/two-way, or differently put if you transform from
relaxng to xsd and back you are not guaranteed to end up with the same
relaxng document. This is because some relaxng concepts can't be
mapped completely into xsd. Now afaik we don't make use of such
concepts now but it could create problems in the future.

As I frequently hear that there is no objection to particular preference
for xsd/relaxng from a theoretical standpoint (I know WG prefers
relaxng) Why not switch to xsd for practial reasons?

Considering I haven't seen the detailed report yet, please review the
following comments with that in mind;

For all that is wrong about perfsonar(and there are things wrong), certain
key area's seem to be overlooked.

Perfsonar is about sharing data to solve problems around services that
stretch across multiple administrative domains as opposed to making the
data available just within your own domain. For example AA, as far as
Authentication is concerned with NETCONF; it is left to the transport
layer which basically means that it's up to administrator/deployers to
sort it out. Now I'm sure admins/deployers are up to the task but still
it would require considerable effort as well as additional
specification/conventions. As perfsonar is actually focused on making
network measurements avail across multiple administrative domains it
actually does solve/handle this. Even currently all it takes is to point a
service to an AA-server. As pointed out on the perfsonar-dev list even
suppling an AA-server could easily be done automatically.

Perfsonar was not designed to replace current measurement systems
the idea was to complement them. As such it shouldn't be competing
with netconf; however as there are propriatary solutions for 'local' use.
Netconf might find itself caught in the middle.

Regards,

Michael