[Nmc-wg] Review of documents

Roman Lapacz romradz at man.poznan.pl
Wed Jan 20 08:37:03 CST 2010

Freek Dijkstra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My apologies for the (very) late reply.
>
> I have a few generic comments and questions on "Extensible Protocol for
> NMC" for now and will follow up with some more detailed remarks later.
> (I planned to have the detailed remarks now, but was not able to finish
> reading all I wanted).
>
> My main point of criticism is that I do not (yet) understand why this
> protocol was developed; as a naive reader it seems to highly overlap
> with what has been done with WSDL. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on
> either, so I might miss the point. WSDL was developed as a generic
> request-response protocol framework, and so is "Extensible Protocol for
> NMC".

NMC schema transformed from Relax NG into XSD format could be used in
WSDL file to describe all messages. I didn't try it but basing on my
(limited) knowledge of WSDL it's possible. So I don't see the conflict here.

I understand that WSDL was mentioned here as an example for general
observation that maybe some existing standard could be used instead of
NMC. The same comment was raised in Geant3 by people who were not
involved earlier in pS work. The investigation of Netconf in pS is a try
to look at this issue and find answers.

Roman