[Nmc-wg] Transport protocol

Jason Zurawski zurawski at internet2.edu
Thu Feb 18 06:38:07 CST 2010

Hi Freek;

I will note your proposal regarding the base document in the meeting
notes.

Specifying details regarding a specific implementation of an NMC-capable
framework (like perfSONAR or something completely different) does not
seem correct to me.  I still believe that we do not want to box
ourselves in by saying "use SOAP over HTTP because that's what the first
generation used".  The strength of this work should lie in the
specification and meaning of the XML - if it travels over pigeons or
wires should not be a primary concern.

The documents that I think you and Michael speak of belong to the
projects that implement these protocols into specific services.  We
commonly refer to 'perfSONAR capable' services as services that speak
perfSONAR protocols.  In this case we should be saying, 'perfSONAR is
really NMC that travels on SOAP over HTTP'.  I would argue that these
specifications should be undertaken by these projects, not by NMC.

Thanks;

-jason