[Nmc-wg] Transport protocol

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Feb 18 13:57:04 CST 2010

Jason wrote:

> Specifying details regarding a specific implementation of an NMC-
> capable
> framework (like perfSONAR or something completely different) does not
> seem correct to me.  I still believe that we do not want to box
> ourselves in by saying "use SOAP over HTTP because that's what the
> first
> generation used".  The strength of this work should lie in the
> specification and meaning of the XML

I agree with your second statement. However, I also believe that our
aim is to define a standard so that different implementations can work
together. If implementation A uses SOAP based webservices and
implementation B uses RESTful webservices they do not operate. So I
think it should be specified, preferably in a different (short)
document. Otherwise you may just as well argue that "you do not need
to specify the XML syntax, just because that's what the first
generation uses"

Regards,
Freek