[Nmc-wg] Transport protocol

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Feb 18 03:08:12 CST 2010

Michael Bischoff wrote:

> After discussing some of this off list with Jason it seems we are
> leaning towards how it was done SAML spec the base is completely
> transport agnostic and perhaps specify later how to bind these
> (http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-bindings-2.0-os.pdf)

I think it is reasonable if the base document is transport agnostic, but
I would be very much in favour if it is documented somewhere: after all,
if I read NM charter, it is chartered with defining a schema, while NMC
is chartered with defining a protocol. So, I would say: define exactly
what is going over the wire. That includes specifying the underlying
transport protocol, as long that is a concern for the end-hosts (so it
must be defined up to the transport layer (in this case: define that we
use SOAP + HTTP + TCP and that the port number should be looked up in
the lookup service).

The only drawback of this approach is the plethora of documents we're
creating, but otherwise it seems fine with me.

If we agree, I will rework the SHOULD and MUSTs in the base document
according to this agreement, and note that the transport protocol is
defined elsewhere.

Regards,
Freek