[jsdl-wg] JSDL: Updates

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri May 6 03:45:15 CDT 2005

Andreas Savva wrote:
> I don't agree, however that these filesystems should be 'defined and
> available' by default. I think they should be simply well-known names
> that can be expected to be (typically) available with the definitions
> provided. And they should only be made available only if they explicitly
> appear in a JSDL instance document.

I think the question here is to what extent should we define the
"well-known" filesystems. My proposal is probably the limit of this, and
I'd agree that being explicit is going to be better practice.

In any case, there are going to be important semantics attached to some
filesystem names that are going to be tricky to capture (e.g. why should
HOME refer to the user's home direcory?) We may well be able to punt on
this matter until post v1.

A separate matter is whether filesystemName references should really be
xsd:QName instead of xsd:NCName (if so, the attribute should possibly be
called filesystem), but I'll let the schema hackers decide what to do
there. I'm more concerned about the mechanism, and not the syntax for
expressing it. :^)

Donal.