[jsdl-wg] JSDL compliance levels

Ali Anjomshoaa ali at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Wed May 4 10:32:59 CDT 2005

Folks,

this is regarding my action to review Michel's proposal re: JSDL
compliance levels.

I agree with Michel that we don't need "levels" of compliance. All
supporting systems MUST be able to understand and parse all of JSDL.

I don't believe that we need say anything regarding how a system satisfies
the requirements, after all, we can't police "JSDL compliant" systems, and
the semantics should be clear enough that system implementors know what to
do to set up a job environment based on the specified requirements. Is
that clear, or do I need to explain more?

I propose the following for the end of Section 2 (based somewhat on
Michel's proposal):

The term JSDL document refers to a well formed XML document that can be
validated against the normative JSDL Schema definition contained in
Appendix 2: Normative Schema.

The terms JSDL element and JSDL attribute indicate that the corresponding
language construct is represented as an XML element or an XML attribute,
respectively, in the normative JSDL Schema.

The key word present, with respect to a JSDL language construct being
present, refers to an instance of that construct being present in a JSDL
document.

The key word support, with respect to a JSDL consuming system supporting
the JSDL specification and the language constructs, refers to the ability
of that system to parse a JSDL document.  That is, the consuming system
must be able to interpret the language constructs and assign to them the
semantics described in this specification and the values assigned to them
in that JSDL document. All JSDL consuming systems must, therefore, support
all of the JSDL language constructs.

With suitable formatting.

Cheers and take care,

Ali

--

        Ali Anjomshoaa
        Mayfield Road                   E-mail: ali at epcc.ed.ac.uk
        Edinburgh EH9 3JZ               Phone:  + 44 (0) 131 651 3388
        United Kingdom                  Fax:    + 44 (0) 131 650 6555