[jsdl-wg] XSD Schema - latest - schema design issues

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 15 20:26:53 CST 2005

I wanted to add that I still find the credential parts of JSDL
confusing... my intuition is that this is not something that can be
usefully abstracted: by the time you wave away specific mechanisms for
a security environment, the field is no longer useful for mapping the
real domain-specific info.  I would rather see JSDL treat this as out
of scope, at least for 1.0, and make sure the extensibility can allow
communities to embed their own credential management constructs as
needed.  I think we need to admit structured domain-specific elements
rather than ever punting to a string type for this kind of
information.

This is not to say that there are not reasonable things for JSDL to do
w/ identity such as the selection of user and group IDs.  These are
not credentials, but part of the parameterization of the job
"container" for a wide range of job types; there are not security
risks with this, because as Donal said before, the operational
environment that uses JSDL is responsible for making authorization
decisions.  This is analogous to GRAM allowing job requests to select
a local user account: whether this is allowed or not is dependent on
the authenticated PKI context of the request and the local site
"mapping" policies; the job request is not blindly implemented.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com