[jsdl-wg] TileSize and ProcessCount

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Tue Mar 1 19:34:20 CST 2005

Perhaps there are naming issues here, or there are too many terms defined
here.

JSDL is only concerned with specifying the resource requirements for the
allocation request, not with how those resources end up being used (i.e.
using threads or processes). So the TileSize indicates how many cpus need to
be allocated as a unit within one OS image (i.e. a group of cpus), and the
CPUCount would tell you how many cpus are needed in total. I don't believe
you need any more. If the job chooses to use processes or threads is
independent of the allocation.

So given this example:

> tasks per job=3
> threads per task=4
> processors per task=4

TileSize = 4
CPUCount = 12

This can translate to the PBS syntax "nodes=3:ppn=4" or the LSF syntax "-n
12 -R 'span[ptile=4]'", and I'm sure others as well.

To the entity making the allocation, processes or threads doesn't matter.

-- Chris