[jsdl-wg] TileSize and ProcessCount

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Mar 1 20:41:36 CST 2005

Hi Chris,

Just to give you some background on why this is the way it is.

At the last F2F after a lengthy discussion on topology and what it
really means the group reached the conclusion that topology is part of
the application definition rather than part of the hardware
requirements. (That is, it is independent of the hardware resources to
be allocated to the job and should be described separately and in terms
that are not hardware specific.)
So the topology tags describe the number of processes and their desired
grouping/tiling and appear in the Application section rather than the
Resource section. The Resource section (may) contains tags to describe
the hardware resources required: CPUCount and ResourceCount.

I have some doubts about the current definition (in particular I think
we either overloaded the term 'Process' or we defined TileSize the wrong
way). But I think it is easier to bash this out on a call or f2f (hand
to hand? :-) at GGF13.

Andreas

--
Andreas Savva