[jsdl-wg] One Last Batch of Technical Queries

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 3 05:37:06 CDT 2005

Hi,

first, thanks for the "dirty work" to all of the editors.
Next, my comments on the last issues inlined below:

On 3 Jun 2005, at 11:22, Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Processor Architectures (Table 4-2 in 4.2.2.1)
>    Should 'x86' really be called 'ia32'? (I don't really care.)

'x86' is no doubt the more common term - to be honest, only a small
faint bell is ringing for ia32, and I am really not sure if this term
really exists. All tools, programs and descriptions I know (i.e. the
GNU tools collection) do all use x86 and ia64 to separate 32 bit and 64
bit architectures.

> Resources Element Definition (5.4.1.1)
>    Do we need to say anything about what it means to satisfy the whole
>    set of elements? (I think we just need to say that the Resources
>    element is satisfied when all of its contained resource requirements
>    are satisfied.)

Yes, I would support this logical AND semantics.

>    Do we need to say anything about what happens when you have both
>    Total and Individual elements? (I think not...)

Well, both have to be satisfied, otherwise the whole Resources element
will not be satisfied. So I'd recommend mentioning this.

> Source and Target Element Pseudo-Schemas (5.5.6.5 and 5.5.8.5)
>    Should the multiplicity of URI be "1" or "0-1"? Conceivably, people
>    might want to stage to things expressed (using extensibility) as
>    things other than URIs. (I'm inclined to say 0-1, but consistency
>    between spec and schema is much more important.)

I think it should be "1". Although the "U" in URI stands for "Uniform"
rather than "Universal", URIs are much more universal than they are
commonly perceived. URIs are not limited to the well known things like
HTTP or FTP. You can express much more things, especially if one does
not associate the path structure with file system path structures
(which is the most common mistake people make). To be honest, I can't
think of any use case that cannot be expressed using URIs.
Do you have some examples?

Cheers,
Michel