[jsdl-wg] Tracker status values proposal

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Fri Apr 8 10:39:46 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I worked a bit on the originally proposed tracker status values and the
comments to them.

I also tried to avoid "sensitive" terms like "Open" and "Pending", but
I did not come up with a nice replacement for "Closed", so I still left
it in.

The result is a set of status values and transitional actions. Each
transitional action has exactly one preconditioning status value and
results in exactly one status value.

Status values
=============

"New"
An issue has been added to the tracker system. The WG has not yet
decided to accept this issue. No person or group has been assigned yet
to work on this issue.

"Assigned"
A person or group of persons has been assigned to work in this issue.
In case of a group, the responsible person is tagged in the tracker
system. The assignment is to come up with a proposal on this issue.

"Resolved"
A solution to the issue is available and awaits acceptance from the WG.

"Fixed"
The proposed solution has been accepted and needs to be merged into the
appropriate/affected resource(s).

"Closed"
The merged solution is taken over into the main official published
resource. The final completion must be reported by the main editor and
reviewed by at least one other member (preferably the second editor).

"Rejected"
The issue has been rejected and will not be considered again in the
future.

"Deferred"
The issue has been acknowledged and will be addressed in future
releases.

Transitional Actions
====================

Pre status: New
Post status: Assigned
The WG accepts an issue and assigns a responsible person to work on
this issue.

Pre status: New
Post status: Rejected
The WG rejects this issue due to various reasons and decides that it
will not be reconsidered again.

Pre status: Assigned
Post status: Resolved
The assigned person or group finds a solution for this issue and files
it for acceptance.

Pre status: Resolved
Post status: Fixed
The proposed solution has been accepted by the WG.

Pre status: Resolved
Post status: Assigned
The WG decides that the proposed solution does not fit and requires an
alternative solution. A new responsible person or group may assigned.

Pre status: Resolved
Post status: Deferred
The WG eventually decides that at the moment there is no suitable
solution to the issue or the issue bounced back and forth between the
states "Assigned" and "Resolved" for too many times. At a later stage,
there may be a solution to the issue.

Pre status: Resolved
Post status: Rejected
The WG realises that this issue is completely off track from the scope
and rejects it.

Pre status: Fixed
Post status: Closed
The solution to the issue has been merged and is reviewed.

---

I hope I didn't forget anything. The actual picture of this is not as
complicated ass the whole bunch of text may suppose.

Cheers,
Michel

N.B..: Have a nice weekend!