[Isod-rg] OGF ISOD-RG use case document

Joan A. Garcia-Espin joan.antoni.garcia at i2cat.net
Wed Sep 14 08:12:07 CDT 2011

Thanks for your answer Alex, my comments in-line below.

BR,
--
Joan A. García-Espín
DANA, Fundació i2CAT

El 14/09/2011, a las 14:52, Alexander Willner escribió:

> Hi there,
>
> On 14.09.2011, at 13:04, Joan A. Garcia-Espin wrote:
>> Another thing I would like to discuss is how we could adapt or
>> include the networking flavour into IaaS (mainly)
>
> what about listing available infrastructure components (cpu,
> storage, network, ...) and list their specific properties and
> interdependencies in detail. In case of an IaaS you've very low
> level access to a (virtual) network and network devices.

>> to PaaS
>
> What about "nPaaS" (Network PaaS): here you can specify network
> properties of your Application PaaS.

My idea is: ok, a network domain has some properties (if managed) that
allows you to provide net services on top. Hence, one can see the net
domain as a "platform" for net services. This has implications in the
management and control functions of the domain: you need some generic
functions, and some tech-specific ones. Does this reasoning fit your
mind?

>> and, why not, to SaaS.
>
> Mh, Network as a Software?

Not this way, I am referring to "network software". Simple example:
the control plane and its behaviour. Complex example: programmable
networks. It is again related to control and management, but now in
thinking in the operation phase. Even more, using the Google App
Engine (one platform) one can run different apps simultaneously
(several sw pieces). Is this applicable to networking? How do we re-
define SaaS if so?

> Just some thoughts, Alex

More than welcomed!