[infod-wg] Sequence diagram for Car Buying use case (action 28)

Chris Kantarjiev chris.kantarjiev at oracle.com
Mon Nov 28 18:16:26 CST 2005

I've checked a version in to

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/infod-wg/document/Car_Dealer_Sequence/en/1

I've omitted the creation of the two vocabularies. There's a quick-and-dirty
class diagram to allow the sequence diagram to work - it's certainly not correct
per the current interface spec. It's not entirely clear to me how our INFOD
Interfaces should be mapped to UML objects. If someone can point me at a
suitable example, I'll take another try at doing that.

It's a fairly simple diagram to create the car dealer and buyer.  They're
strictly in terms of object creation and API calls. It's not clear to me, to be
honest, just *where* the messages are being sent. To the registry? To the
vocabulary manager? Where does the vocabularly manager live, as an
object/process? Is it worth showing it in these diagrams as a recipient of
messages? Or do we want to do that separately in a deployment view diagram?

My problem is that the Registry, which we talk about everywhere, is by no means
explicit anywhere. In this use case, there is no specific object that notifies
dealers of new subscriptions. We don't really have the explicit concept of a
factory for subscriptions; the notification is, perhaps, a side effect of the
factory. I'm not sure how others are thinking about it. That's how I've drawn
it, more or less, in this version - the tool won't let me show sending the
message to Publisher1 before returning the EPR to the buyer.

As far as I can tell, there is no standard for import/export of these diagrams;
XMI is good for pushing UML *models* around, but not the related diagrams. So
you'll have to use the free Poseidon tool to load the entire project. I think
that what we're doing qualifies for the 'Community Edition':

	http://gentleware.com/index.php?id=downloadcenter

You should be able to 'just' open the project file after you fetch it from
GridForge. Once you do that, you can click on Sequence Diagrams in the left pane
and you should find CarDealerUseCase.

This tool appears adequate for us to do a full UML model that we can all share,
if there is interest in doing that. It might even generate java.