[graap-wg] proposal: agreement lifecycle end-games

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 22 20:16:19 CST 2005

I agree the lifetime management is hard. :-) I wonder if this sort of
scenario is not a good point in time for the client/initiator to:

  1) Use the Agreement interface to capture the status and/or other
     identifying information.

  2) "Retire" the Agreement by allowing it to be destroyed.

  3) Have offline compensation using the captured status and
     identifying information.

As I have said before, I think there is a practical limit to what can
be done in the online, automatic system view of WS-Agreement.
Shutting down/destroying those interfaces should not necessarily
destroy records but just shift the information out of the online
message processing system and into audit/accounting.

Trying to negotiate compensation between humans is definitely out of
scope (and too hard) for WS-Agreement, I would say.  I guess I would
frame the question as what sort of support is needed to allow such
conversations to continue after the Agreement is terminated,
e.g. access to "final state" and/or naming information that can be
passed around offline?

karl

On Mar 22, Jon MacLaren loaded a tape reading:

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com