[graap-wg] proposal: agreement lifecycle end-games

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Mar 23 09:31:16 CST 2005

If I can make my point clearer, I'm not saying that human negotiation
should be part of WS-Agreement.  But, the Agreement information has to
remain available as long as it is needed by either party.  This is hard
to do when the Agreement is a WS-RF style resource (or a service).

You proposed that you could allow some way for the initiator to
"capture the status" from the Agreement interface.  That'd be alright,
provided that it was in some form which was signed by the other party.
Otherwise, it's not much use - too easy to fake up.  (Of course, the
user still has to trust the agreement provider to give them this after
things have gone wrong.)

Just saying that shutting down the interface only moves the data to an
audit/accounting system is all very well, but it gives me no idea of
how I might retrieve that information, let alone in a standard way.

However, if the definitive form of the Agreement were an XML document,
signed by both parties, you wouldn't have these problems.  People would
just keep the agreement document until they felt they no longer needed
it.  You could still use something like the current Agreement interface
for doing all the monitoring stuff.  (The lifetime issues for that
resource would be simpler.)

I also believe, and always have, that having an agreement represented
primarily as a document is a far more intuitive approach.  I think that
the advantages of this representation should be fully considered now.

Jon.