[graap-wg] proposal: agreement lifecycle end-games

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Mar 22 16:39:35 CST 2005

Good to see a thorough consideration of the lifetime issue.  Other than
agreeing entirely with dropping the terminate stuff for now, I just
wanted to comment on one of the points you made:

On Mar 22, 2005, at 1:53 AM, Karl Czajkowski wrote:

> F. Should we introduce any kind of "linger" time to indicate an
>    interaction with WS-ResourceLifetime to commence an automatic
>    countdown to Agreement destruction once it has reached the Complete
>    or PostObserved state?

It may be OK to "garbage collect" the agreement after all the terms
have successfully completed.  But where one or more terms have been
violated, the initiator will want to be able to point at the agreement
for an arbitrary length of time afterwards.  They may wish to seek
compensation through some out-of-bands methods.

Let me give a motivating use-case.

Lets say that something goes wrong with the execution of my job.
Perhaps we'd agreed that it would execute at 4pm, but it didn't start
until 4.30pm.  I am offered a partial refund, but want to argue for
more.  I'll do this by email, but will want to refer to the agreement
in some way...

Lifetime management for this sort of thing is hard.

> karl

Jon.