[graap-wg] Telecon on 3/21

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Mon Mar 21 03:36:23 CST 2005

On Mar 21, Toshiyuki Nakata loaded a tape reading:
> Thank you very much for the announcement.
> I'll be atttending but would have to leave early (7:40..)
> I can supplement what Wolfgang wrote in the minutes of GGF13, but
> most of it's already there so not much to add.
>
> The other big issue would be the OGSA-BES and EMS
> Best Regards
> Toshi

My impression is that it is an uphill battle to convince the OGSA-BES
group to consider seriously using WS-Agreement, while they all seem
clear on the idea of using JSDL.  I think this is due to several
facts:

  1) They are on an aggressive schedule and so have some conservatism.

  2) There are some preconcieved notions of what BES should be that
     look more like GRAM or other job-specific interfaces.

  3) There was a bit of the lingering anti-wsrf sentiment floating
     around Seoul.

  4) BES is supposed to fit EMS, and it is not clear EMS really has
     an understanding where WS-Agreement could fit.

  5) Most groups are unclear on how we intend WS-Agreement to be used,
     not really seeing the "generalized GRAM/GARA" history and perhaps
     being confused by all the generic agreement, SLA,
     etc. terminology into thinking it has to be a heavyweight process
     involving human administrators.

I think these last issues are the biggest concern for GRAAP-WG
besides, obviously, getting the technical issues ironed out.  We need
to figure out how to market all these nifty ideas or we run the risk
of producing a specification that will gather dust on the shelf.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com