[graap-wg] minutes from 2/28 telecon

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 1 08:51:39 CST 2005

I am not sure that I am following this concern, but to my knowledge
WS-ResourceProperties does not define any coherency or consistency
among resource properties.  It only states that query results will be
valid according to the schema.  This is not about "writers" but about
dynamic RP documents and the possible lack of synchronization in
constructing the RP elements in query results.  (WS-RF tries to be
lenient about what infrastructure is required to implement the basic
facilities.)

I think the best approach would be to define RPs that are meaningful
in isolation from one another and only loosely associated with each
other via their association to the resource identity; dynamic values
that have temporal associations should probably be part of one RP
element rather than spread across several.  I do not think there is
anything risky about stating that a particular RP will be updated
coherently (coherence amongs its attributes and subelements).

A particular specification could add requirements, but of course this
might restrict the WSRF tooling environments that are capable of
hosting the standard.  Also, I would be concerned if we required
strong consistency and didn't make it so that a WS-Agreement
environment would degrade gracefully if the consistency were violated;
for example, references across terms could use temporally unique IDs
for dynamic elements so that a consumer could detect a dangling
reference rather than making an incorrect dereference.  I suppose you
could call this an implementation detail, but I would like to think we
could encourage or even mandate some hygiene...

Can someone explain concisely what the consistency hazard is that has
been raised?

karl

On Feb 28, Jon MacLaren loaded a tape reading:

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com