[glue-wg] location of the new attribute VirtualizationType

Marco Verlato Marco.Verlato at pd.infn.it
Fri Sep 22 11:33:51 EDT 2017

Hi,

in principle VirtualizationType can be selected differently for the same
image, because is the flavor that enables the access to the accelerator.

For example, VirtualizationType for GPUs depends on how is configured
the cloud framework and strongly depends on the hypervisor, e.g. KVM
only support PCI-passthrough virtualization (it implies max 1 VM
attached to a physical accelerator) while WMware can also support NVIDIA
GRID vGPU based virtualization (it allows more VMs can share the same
physical accelerator).

In OpenStack configured with PCI-passtrough, you need to define a flavor
with a flavor-key like e.g. "pci_passthrough:alias"="GPU:2" in order to
allow any image to have access to two GPUs whose hardware info is in a
configuration line like "pci_alias =
{"vendor_id":"xxxx","product_id":"xxxx", "name":"GPU"}" in nova.conf, so
i would consider as a right place for the VirtualizationType attribute
the CloudComputingVirtualAccelerator entity, that is associated to the
CloudComputingInstanceType class (representing the flavor).

Marco

On 21/09/2017 12:41, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> glue-wg [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Alessandro Paolini said:
>> Initially I was thinking that CloudComputingVirtualAccelerator class was better, but know it seems to me
>> that both the classes are suitable for containing this attribute, it can be either into one or another: do
>> you think we can add it to both the classes?
> I don't know enough about how it works ... normally something which is part of the description of the WN environment would be in Resource, which seems to be the VirtualAcclerator here. The question I'd ask is whether the VirtualizationType is bound to the VM image or whether it's something which could be selected differently for the same image according to choices made when the job is submitted.
>
> Stephen

Marco Verlato Ph.D
Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare - Sez. di Padova
Via Marzolo 8 - 35131 Padova - ITALY
Office: Room 110, Via Belzoni 7
Phone:+390499677361, Fax:+390498275952, Email:verlato(at)pd.infn.it