[glue-wg] location of the new attribute VirtualizationType

Alessandro Paolini alessandro.paolini at egi.eu
Mon Sep 25 08:47:34 EDT 2017

Hi Marco,

thanks a lot for the explanation. So we are going to move the
VirtualizationType attribute into the CloudComputingVirtualAccelerator
class as proposed initially by Paolo, if all agree on this.

cheers,
Alessandro

On 22 September 2017 at 17:33, Marco Verlato <Marco.Verlato at pd.infn.it>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in principle VirtualizationType can be selected differently for the same
> image, because is the flavor that enables the access to the accelerator.
>
> For example, VirtualizationType for GPUs depends on how is configured the
> cloud framework and strongly depends on the hypervisor, e.g. KVM only
> support PCI-passthrough virtualization (it implies max 1 VM attached to a
> physical accelerator) while WMware can also support NVIDIA GRID vGPU based
> virtualization (it allows more VMs can share the same physical accelerator).
>
> In OpenStack configured with PCI-passtrough, you need to define a flavor
> with a flavor-key like e.g. "pci_passthrough:alias"="GPU:2" in order to
> allow any image to have access to two GPUs whose hardware info is in a
> configuration line like "pci_alias = {"vendor_id":"xxxx","product_id":"xxxx",
> "name":"GPU"}" in nova.conf, so i would consider as a right place for the
> VirtualizationType attribute the CloudComputingVirtualAccelerator entity,
> that is associated to the CloudComputingInstanceType class (representing
> the flavor).
>
> Marco
>

> On 21/09/2017 12:41, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> glue-wg [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Alessandro Paolini
>> said:
>>
>>> Initially I was thinking that CloudComputingVirtualAccelerator class
>>> was better, but know it seems to me
>>> that both the classes are suitable for containing this attribute, it can
>>> be either into one or another: do
>>> you think we can add it to both the classes?
>>>
>> I don't know enough about how it works ... normally something which is
>> part of the description of the WN environment would be in Resource, which
>> seems to be the VirtualAcclerator here. The question I'd ask is whether the
>> VirtualizationType is bound to the VM image or whether it's something which
>> could be selected differently for the same image according to choices made
>> when the job is submitted.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

> --
>
> Marco Verlato Ph.D
> Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare - Sez. di Padova
> Via Marzolo 8 - 35131 Padova - ITALY
> Office: Room 110, Via Belzoni 7
> Phone:+390499677361, Fax:+390498275952, Email:verlato(at)pd.infn.it

Dr. Alessandro Paolini
Operations Officer - EGI Foundation
Science Park 140
1098 XG Amsterdam
The Netherlands
skype: alessandro.paolini.egi
"I believe in the power of laughter and tears"
    "as an antidote to hatred and terror"
          "A day without laughter"
             "is a wasted day" >>> Charlie Chaplin