[glue-wg] Glue 2.1 draft new version (0.5) - little modification

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 04:37:48 EDT 2017

Alessandro Paolini [mailto:alessandro.paolini at egi.eu] said:
> Stephen, do you mean that syntax could create problems for making queries, or other?

Yes, effectively you're creating a new mini-schema inside an attribute, so you'll have to build some kind of extra parser to manipulate it rather than just using whatever is native to the schema representation. For example, the numbers aren't numbers, just parts of strings, so you can't do numerical comparisons without extra parsing, or even verify that they are valid numbers. Also if an accelerator name is mistyped it's hard to detect, compared with an enumerated Type attribute where you can easily check whether it's a member. If you're trying to get new information into existing schema attributes that may be the only way to do it, but since we're modifying the schema here there's no reason not to do it properly.

> do you see any other option?

If there could be more accelerator types defined in the future my suggestion would be to have a new separate object class like AcceleratorInfo which would be related to the Share in the same kind of way as StorageShareCapacity.