[glue-wg] Call for minor non-distruptive updates to GLUE 2.0

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Sep 8 11:04:24 EDT 2014

Hi Stephen,

On 08/09/14 15:28, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
>> 1.	create a registry where people can add CA bundle along with some
>> canonical name,
>
> I would suggest treating it like an enumerated type.

That sounds good.

As Alan says, we should include links to descriptions of the CA bundles
in that enumeration.

>> Stephen, could you post a list of these OtherInfo or send a link to
>> the EGI profile document (for those of us who don't have it
>> to-hand).
>
> Err, the link was in the mail you replied to!

[whoops!  thanks]

As I said, my vote would be for a "Profile" attribute, but I would like
it to combined the EGI ProfileName and ProfileVersion into a single
attribute.  One way of doing this would be to combine the two values
with a dash (e.g., OtherInfo: ProfileName=EGI, OtherInfo:
ProfileVersion=1.0 becomes Profile=EGI-1.0).  This would allow an
info-provider to publish support for multiple profiles; e.g.:

   Profile=EGI-0.5
   Profile=EGI-1.0
   Profile=NorduNET
   Profile=XSEDE-basic

(Yes, I know, I've said this before.)

>> Don't we already support advertising downtime?  Endpoint already
>> has DowntimeStart and DowntimeEnd.
>
> I assume the argument is that it's clumsy to work out how that
> relates to the current time, and it would be simpler to have a flag.

True: requiring clock synchronisation isn't great.  Also, it seems
nobody is really using the Downtime* attributes; at least, not when I
checked (perhaps nobody was in down-time just then!).  Currently, StoRM
publishes:

     GLUE2EndpointDowntimeAnnounce: No

and many gLite services publish a place-holder statement:

     GLUE2EndpointDowntimeInfo: See the GOC DB for downtimes:
https://goc.egi.eu/

So, it might be worth gaining some experience before adding a new
attribute.  Perhaps this could be added to the EGI profile as an
OtherInfo value?

Cheers,

Paul.