[glue-wg] Call for minor non-distruptive updates to GLUE 2.0

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 11:36:40 EDT 2014

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> As I said, my vote would be for a "Profile" attribute, but I would like
> it to combined the EGI ProfileName and ProfileVersion into a single
> attribute.  One way of doing this would be to combine the two values
> with a dash (e.g., OtherInfo: ProfileName=EGI, OtherInfo:
> ProfileVersion=1.0 becomes Profile=EGI-1.0).

In general we try to avoid having multiple pieces of formatted information in a single attribute - the main case so far is InterfaceExtension where we have yet to find a way to define or use it! Also I'm doubtful if it means anything to support multiple profiles given that in general they will have conflicts. You could perhaps have a ProfileExtension attribute ...

> (Yes, I know, I've said this before.)

The arguments are perhaps slightly different - part of my case was that the EGI profile doesn't need to define attributes relating to other profiles, but that wouldn't apply to the schema itself.

> True: requiring clock synchronisation isn't great.  Also, it seems
> nobody is really using the Downtime* attributes; at least, not when I
> checked (perhaps nobody was in down-time just then!).

In EGI the current situation is that downtimes are managed by the GOC DB - but of course that has now adopted GLUE 2 as an information model so it would be good to bring things in line, whatever we do in the BDII. As things stand there is no easy way to import GOC DB information into the BDII information providers - potentially you could have some kind of unified interface but it seems unlikely that it will happen in practice (the work on the LCG registry was terminated due to lack of interest).

In any case the situation with the cloud may be different - managing downtimes for transient services via the GOC DB, which requires static registration, may not be possible. On the other hand, do transient services even have a concept of downtime?