[glue-wg] Notes: GLUE WG session at OGF 40

Warren Smith wsmith at tacc.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 25 10:28:33 EDT 2014

Sorry to be so late to respond, but I disagree with the cloud approach below. As someone involved in the operation of both clouds and clusters, I don't think they are all that different. I think we can/should represent them both using the same schema - in fact, I've already used GLUE2 to represent a couple different IaaS clouds well enough for my needs. I also think that the basic IaaS cloud infrastructure concepts are pretty stable so we don't have a need to have a specific representation for them.

Furthermore, the clouds and clusters I'm involved with are part of the same infrastructure (e.g. FutureGrid, the ones we have at TACC, and the ones that will be coming in to XSEDE). I want to use the same schema to represent all of these resources.

In my opinion, we should be looking at generalizing glue2 where needed and perhaps adding more specific entities (e.g. instance, cluster job). I think this would benefit cluster environments, too.

Warren