[glue-wg] glue2 cloud examples

Warren Smith wsmith at tacc.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 26 13:49:01 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I put some examples of how I'm representing an IaaS cloud using GLUE 2 into https://github.com/OGF-GLUE/JSON/tree/master/examples. Look for the files ending in openstack.json and the file images.json. I use a few extensions, but not very many.

My approach is:

Instance/Virtual Machine - ComputingActivity

Physical Node - ExecutionEnvironment

Virtual Machine Image - ApplicationEnvironment/Handle

I haven't done anything with storage at this point, but my approach would be to handle an object or image store the same as a shared/parallel file system.

I also haven't done anything related to describing virtual networks - GLUE 2 doesn't have much support for describing networks in general. VLANs, overlay networks, etc. are used outside of cloud environments as well as in cloud environments, so I don't know if there would be any need for separate entities/schemas for cloud vs non-cloud environments.

Warren