[glue-wg] NOTES: GLUE WG teleconference, Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Wed Jun 18 10:49:47 EDT 2014

For everybody's information:

On 2014-06-17 20:47, Navarro, John-Paul F. wrote:> Information on using
Lync on Linux:
>   http://geekyschmidt.com/2013/05/18/microsoft-lync-on-linux

This is only about connecting to Lync chat service. In fact it says:

"There are some shortcomings to this setup. Audio/Video between a
Windows/Mac client to Pidgin does not function. Pidgin to Pidgin is no
issue though. For simple text chat you will be fine with the above though."

"some shortcomings" == no audio video at all. Actually is also no guest
access.

The truth is that even the webclient uses windows features that are not
present in any linux/OSX machine, and will never be.
Let's face it, this is a Windows only thing.

Fun facts: On Windows 7 Pro + Office 2013 Lync client, all latest
updates, it closes/crashes my Explorer, I am forced to use Firefox to
connect!

Cheers,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli