[glue-wg] Call for VOTE: OGF GLUE2 Enumerations procedures and best practices

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Tue Jun 17 05:03:12 EDT 2014

Thanks Andre for the comments!

I'll try to fix the trivial ones by the beginning of the meeting, but I
can't promise.

About some of them, here's my own comments:

On 2014-06-17 10:25, Andre Merzky wrote:
> Dear Glue WG,
>
> below are some comments to the document.
>
> Best, Andre.
>
>   - page 3:  Exisiting -> Existing
>   - page 3:  'organization_name' is marked as RECOMMENDED (not MUST),
> but later on is part of the 'minimum requirement' -- that seems to be
> a contradiction?

I actually don't like RECOMMENDED there, but as a matter of fact we have
names with no organization prefix. My choice would be to keep old names,
but for new names that have no organization prefix we should force
"org.ogf.glue." as an organization prefix to keep consistency.
I think Stephen was against it, AFAIR. Stephen?

>   - page 4: 'organization_name' and 'interface_name' are MANDATORY,
> but '<organization_name>.<interface_name>' is 'RECOMMENDED'.  Are
> there real alternatives to the latter or should that be a 'MUST' ?

See previous comment. It also says MANDATORY for NEW names. Maybe I
should stress the NEW?

>   - page 5: 'org.ogf.glue.* SHOULD be used if there are issues with
> domain names..' - I am not sure what that means.  What issues?

for example a domain name is bought by somebody else who is alien to the
initial project. Or simply the domain name does not exist.

I just received a request today with domain names that exist but are
totally unrelated to the described services.

Listing all the issues would not make sense. Is it a bit clearer now? Do
you have better suggestions for rephrasing it?

>  Also,
> there are two points at the end of sentence.
>   - 'If a project ends and the product has an orphaned reverse domain
> name, the name can be kept.' - this reads like the orphaned name is
> the one to be kept -- is that correct?

It is correct.

>   [...]
>   - line 149:  'If the values are accepted, the Status field SHOULD
> contain Recommended.' -> isn't that a MUST?  If not, what other value
> could it be?

I think that line should be changed -- in fact it could be any of the
other values as well.

I think the best is to remove that line and just say that the group
should assign one of the values defined in Section 4.2 -- without a
value the string is still floating in a DRAFT state.

>   - line 151: 'As soon as possible' -> might want to replace with 'at
> the next group meeting or call'?  ASAP does not mean much ;)

Sounds good for me!

>   - a few documents are referenced in the text, but proper
> references/links are at the end of the document are missing.

True, will add them.

Regards,
Florido

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Navarro, John-Paul F.
> <navarro at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> GLUE WG:
>>
>> From our last GLUE WG teleconference June 3, 2014:
>>> Action 2: GLUE WG to review Florido's revised Enumerations document
>>> Action 2: At the next GLUE WG call we will vote on the updated document
>>
>> We will be taking a formal vote tomorrow, June 17, to accept the "OGF GLUE2 Enumerations procedures and best practices" as our practice.
>>
>> Please review the document here:
>>  odt: https://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf_files/13260?download=
>>  pdf: https://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf_files/13261?download=
>>
>> If you have opinion on this best practices document please reply with:
>>
>> APPROVE - if you support this best practice
>> DISAPPROVE - if you object, please clearly summarize your objections so that we can discuss them
>>
>> If you approve but have suggested please reply with your approval and list your suggestions.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> JP

 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli