[glue-wg] Summary of changes in LDAP GLUE2 rendering as requested in last meeting

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Sep 18 06:01:26 EDT 2012

Hi Balasz,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Balazs Konya <balazs.konya at hep.lu.se> wrote:
> Dear Stephen, Glue group,
>
> The decision making process in OGF is not very well
> defined, therefore if possible a consensus is always
> preferred.

See GFD.3 (http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.3.pdf), section 3.5,
paragraph 1:

  "The working group or research group chair is responsible
  for ensuring that the group makes progress toward the
  objectives outlined in the group charter and that the
  group process is fair, open, and marked by consensus. An
  excellent overview of the responsibilities and role of a
  working group chair can be found in [1], and a similar
  overview of the responsibilities and role of a research
  group chair can be found in [5]."

[1] is RFC-2418 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2418.txt) (OGF
is explicitly modeled after IETF), where section 3 describes
the WG operation processes in some detail, including how to
define consensus. In particular 3.3 states:

  "Working groups make decisions through a "rough consensus"
  process.  IETF consensus does not require that all
  participants agree although this is, of course, preferred.
  In general, the dominant view of the working group shall
  prevail. [...]  Consensus can be determined by a show of
  hands, humming, or any other means on which the WG agrees
  (by rough consensus, of course).  Note that 51% of the
  working group does not qualify as "rough consensus" and
  99% is better than rough.  It is up to the Chair to
  determine if rough consensus has been reached."

So, you as a chair should provide the consensus process
which fits your group best, and you as chair are responsible
for defining when consensus has been reached.  Several OGF
groups have stalled in the past because chairs did not dare
to make that call *sigh*

Sorry for the heavyweight reply to a likely off-handed
remark, but I hear that point very often, and we would
really get rid of the image that OGF processes are ill
defined.  It is simply that ADs/chairs/members did not read
the documents they should read (GFD.2, GFD.3, GFD.152),
and/or did not communicate the relevant parts to the groups.

Best, Andre :-)

> Balazs Konya
> as OGF Glue WG co-chair this time
>

> --
> Balázs Kónya
>
> Technical Director
>
> European Middleware Initiative          www.eu-emi.eu
> NorduGrid Collaboration                 www.nordugrid.org
>
> Lund University                         balazs.konya at hep.lu.se
> Department of Physics                   phone:   +46 46 222 8049
> BOX 118, S - 221 00 LUND, Sweden        fax:     +46 46 222 4015

Nothing is really difficult...