[glue-wg] Issue with several ServiceTypes, "modal" operation

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Thu Jul 5 06:29:03 EDT 2012

On 07/05/2012 12:06 PM, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
>> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Florido Paganelli
>> said: I think is a GLUE2 WG task to understand, if not describe and
>> propose, how these values can be used in a nice way.
>>
>> What's your opinion on that?
>
> So far I don't think we have a good idea of what use cases the
> ServiceType should support, i.e. under what circumstances would you
> query for a specific Type? For a computing service you can get every
> instance with objectclass=GLUE2ComputingService (or equivalent in
> xml), and if you want to use a specific protocol you can query by the
> EndpointInterfaceName, so I'm not sure when you would want something
> intermediate. If the GOC DB does have a practical use case it may be
> that that should drive what we publish - I agree that it would seem
> strange if the GOC DB uses different Types.

I think it will be interesting for you EGI profiling, how to cope with
such situations. In the ARC example I gave, there is _no hint_ in the
information system about the fact that the service is running as a DG
gateway.

Getting GLUE2 serviceType and Endpoints as you explained above is
irrelevant for Desktop Grid clients at the moment.

The operating behavior is exactly the same as any client submitting to a
predefined ARC CE -- just submit to a URL.

Currenlty the problem arises when the Operational/Monitoring view comes
into play: GOCDB knows, and wants to keep track, that such a CE is
operating as special purpose gateway, and that's why they come up with
different names.

Ideally also clients should care about it, if we enforce a sane
infosys-based approach.

Easy path is to force services to publish specific ServiceTypes, but my
fear is, is that the correct way of using these GLUE2 concepts?
--
Florido Paganelli
Lund University - Particle Physics