[glue-wg] Issue with several ServiceTypes, "modal" operation

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 08:55:41 EDT 2012

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Florido Paganelli said:
> I think it will be interesting for you EGI profiling, how to
> cope with
> such situations. In the ARC example I gave, there is _no hint_ in the
> information system about the fact that the service is running as a DG
> gateway.

I think you need to look at the details of the situation. For example, is it a binary choice, either the whole Service is a DG gateway or it isn't, or can one Service serve multiple back ends? Is it a simple flag, yes or no, or are there properties associated with it? Does the job submission need to know what the backend is? ... Basically everything should be driven by use cases, there is no absolute right answer and no need to publish information if there are no consumers.

> Getting GLUE2 serviceType and Endpoints as you explained above is
> irrelevant for Desktop Grid clients at the moment.

There may also be a question of exclusion, if you want to prevent standard jobs going there. Also you say "at the moment", but if you can forsee things changing in the future it may be worth trying to plan for it. On the other hand there are always things we didn't forsee, and we then have to find the best solution at the time.

> Currenlty the problem arises when the Operational/Monitoring  view comes
> into play: GOCDB knows, and wants to keep track, that such a CE is
> operating as special purpose gateway, and that's why they
> come up with different names.

Monitoring is also a valid use case - but it doesn't necessarily need to use the Type. On the other hand, if the GOC DB only implements a subset of the schema (e.g. no Manager) then that may restrict the options.

> Easy path is to force services to publish specific ServiceTypes, but my
> fear is, is that the correct way of using these GLUE2 concepts?

There isn't really a correct way, we can define Types according to our needs as long as the definitions are clear. However once we start to have clients making use of the Type it will become harder to change.