[glue-wg] Planning for OGF 28

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Mar 10 12:58:18 CST 2010

Quoting [stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk] (Mar 10 2010):

> > Service, Endpoint and AccessPolicy and I haven't noticed anything more
> > for them.
>
> Actually I just noticed one thing for Service which is slightly
> ambiguous. We have:
>
> QualityLevel QualityLevel_t 1  The maturity of the Service in terms of
> the quality of the underlying software components; the value corresponds
> to the highest QualityLevel among the available Endpoints.
>
> However you can potentially have a Service with no Endpoints -
> presumably you could still define its QualityLevel, but formally that
> description wouldn't apply.

Sorry if I jump into the discussion sideways - I am not really part
of the glue group, just lurking here.

Anyway: yes, you certainly can have services w/o endpoints, or at
least which have no need to expose an endpoint.  For example, we
have a garbage collection service which at specific intervals scans
our data bases and purges expired entries.  That service is never
contacted from client side, and nobody really cares where it runs
(apart from the deployment point of view of course).

And yes, that service could very well specify quality levels, such
as run frequency.

Not sure if that is relevant to the discussion, just wanted to throw
that in ;-)

Best, Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy.