[glue-wg] Strings

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Oct 26 10:02:57 CDT 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 15:23:06 stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> > I don't know the details here but I'd imagine that, if we
> > supported UTF-8 then
> > publishing arbitrary UTF-8 information would just work.
>
> Hopefully yes, but right now the LDAP schema uses IA5, and even if we
>  change glue 2 we'll probably leave glue 1 alone (?).

That sounds reasonable: we can sell Glue 2 on its i18n :)

>  Unfortunately that particular trick doesn't seem to work, it
>  translates [...]

I'm guessing you're typing stuff into the command line here, right?

Also, it would be useful if you could you pipe the output through "hexdump -
C".  Diagnosing these kind of problems when some programs are "helpfully"
mapping strings back into UTF-8 (e.g., the email program, the terminal, Perl,
etc).

So, ü (u with dots) is Unicode 00FC, which (according to my terminal) is C3 BC
in UTF-8.

Misinterpreting this 2-byte sequence as Latin-1 would give ü.  I'm not sure
where the upside-down question-mark ½-symbol comes from, though.

> Wide character in print at encode.pl line 6, <> line 5.
> globus-gridftp-server (PID 3522) wird ausgef�hrt...

This looks like a perl problem.  Does the program know it's getting UTF-8
input?

> > The output could be from some i18n software, which could be
> > localised to their local language.  Wouldn't this force GLUE
> > clients to understand all possible languages?
>
> By clients do you mean computers or people? In many cases, including this
>  one, string attributes are designed to be human-readable and I'm not sure
>  we should in general be forcing everyone to use English

That's what I was wondering:  if it's for local human consumption then
supporting l18n text is desirable.

>  ... clearly if
>  things are supposed to be digested by a program, e.g. the various
>  enumerated lists, then you can't easily localise them without losing
>  interoperability.

Yup, agreed!

Cheers,

Paul.