[glue-wg] Strings

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 10:12:21 CDT 2009

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> I'm guessing you're typing stuff into the command line here, right?

Effectively yes - the thing that gave the error was just a cut-and-paste
from the previous output, i.e. it seems that the decode() function is
not idempotent (if that's the right word). Anyway I don't really want to
spend a lot of time understanding the intricacies of unicode, or indeed
perl, I just want some way to ensure that what I print is a valid
IA5String so the schema validation doesn't throw it out.

> This looks like a perl problem.  Does the program know it's
> getting UTF-8 input?

It seems to be the opposite - with unicode input it seems to translate
it sensibly, but fed its own ouput it gives an error. (Modulo whatever
the terminal emulator is doing with the characters ...)