[glue-wg] Strings

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 09:23:06 CDT 2009

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> I don't know the details here but I'd imagine that, if we
> supported UTF-8 then
> publishing arbitrary UTF-8 information would just work.

Hopefully yes, but right now the LDAP schema uses IA5, and even if we change glue 2 we'll probably leave glue 1 alone (?). Unfortunately that particular trick doesn't seem to work, it translates

globus-gridftp-server (PID 3522) wird ausgeführt...

globus-gridftp-server (PID 3522) wird ausgeführt...

which is all well and good, but if you feed it

globus-gridftp-server (PID 3522) wird ausgeführt...

you get

Wide character in print at encode.pl line 6, <> line 5.
globus-gridftp-server (PID 3522) wird ausgef�hrt...

Sigh ... however it looks like something along the lines of "tr/\0-\x{10ffff}/\0-\x7f?/;" may at least provide a minimal solution.

> The output could be from some i18n software, which could be
> localised to their local language.  Wouldn't this force GLUE
> clients to understand all possible languages?

By clients do you mean computers or people? In many cases, including this one, string attributes are designed to be human-readable and I'm not sure we should in general be forcing everyone to use English ... clearly if things are supposed to be digested by a program, e.g. the various enumerated lists, then you can't easily localise them without losing interoperability.