[glue-wg] Next phone meeting and foreign keys discussion

Burke, S (Stephen) stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Tue May 26 08:47:30 CDT 2009

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Sergio Andreozzi said:
> There was a bit of discussion last telecon on this, but in
> general we do
> not have use cases of resources without managers or of resources with
> multiple managers.

Actually for storage systems I think we potentially have all possible
cases. We definitely have the case of a manager without a resource
because we nearly didn't define Datastore at all! (And for LCG we still
have to see if we want to, or indeed can, publish it.) In the other
direction, a classic SE (bare disk server) could have a Datastore
(describing the server) but no manager because there is no management
software in that case. And we also do have the case of multiple managers
(e.g. castor has several different software components), but we just
decided to be pragmatic there and not allow a hierarchy of managers on
grounds of complexity.

  In principle we could say that you always have to publish at least a
dummy Manager if there is a Resource, but I'm not sure if there's a good
reason for it.