[glue-wg] GlueChunkKey

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Sun Feb 3 17:23:56 CST 2008

Hi Stephen,

in the initial mapping of GLUE 1 to LDAP, I've added the GLUEChunkKey to
go round the lack of  the operator ":dn:=" in the available
implementations of OpenLDAP/MDS.
In 1.3, I suggested to remove it because the currently deployed LDAP
servers support this operator.

In your scenario, you show a different use of the GLUEChunkKey,
therefore this can be rediscussed for GLUE 2.0.
(In GLUE 1.3 should stay anyway for backwards compatibility).

Cheers, Sergio

Burke, S (Stephen) ha scritto:
> On this page:
>
> http://glueschema.forge.cnaf.infn.it/SpecV13/LDAP
>
> there is a comment that GlueChunkKey is obsolete because you can now
> query directly on the DN. However, I don't think that's the whole story,
> because it may also be useful to *print* the chunkkey value so you can
> extract the corresponding ID. That would be much harder to get from the
> DN, especially because it often gets split over multiple lines if you
> use ldapsearch. For example, consider this:
>
> for i in `ldapsearch -x -h lcg-bdii.cern.ch -p 2170 -b o=grid
> glueSEAccessProtocolType=gsidcap | grep GlueChunkKey: | cut -d= -f2 `;
> do ldapsearch -x -h lcg-bdii.cern.ch -p 2170 -b o=grid glueseuniqueid=$i
> glueforeignkey; done | grep GlueSiteUniqueID | cut -d= -f2
>
> That chops the SEUniqueID out of the ChunkKey in the access protocol
> object from the first query, and feeds it into another query to get the
> site ID. It may not be totally elegant but it works! If you removed the
> chunkkey it would be much harder to do something like that on the
> command line. While it's true that the information does exist in the DN
> I think I would rather keep the ChunkKey concept anyway.
>
> Stephen

Sergio Andreozzi
INFN-CNAF,                    Tel: +39 051 609 2860
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2       Fax: +39 051 609 2746
40126 Bologna (Italy)         Web: http://www.cnaf.infn.it/~andreozzi