[glue-wg] Service, Resource, Element etc.

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Jul 27 11:16:23 CDT 2007

Hi Laurence,

Laurence Field wrote:
> I was looking at the document and thinking hard about the service,
> resource, element relationships. What we have at the moment is a generic
> service entity linked to the computing resource which are both
> encapsulated with the computing element.
>
> What I would suggest is to have a generic service entity linked to a
> "computing service" entity.
at the moment, the computing service is linked to service via
inheritance; are you suggesting a different relationship?

>   The share, execution and application
> environments would then be linked to the computing service.

since exec/application environments can be related to many services,
then we do not have a way to identify all these concepts in a unique and
persistent way.

At the moment, the main reason for which I find the element useful is a
way to identify all the "concept instances" defining a computing
functionality of a certain site (adminDomain) in a unique and persistent
way.

My feeling is that the ID is useful for management/organizational
purposes. And also conceptually, I found it sound to see
share/compResource/ExecEnv/ApplEnv/CompService as composing this
Computing Element entity (probably it suits the system definition: A
group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole).

What is your opinion/view on this?

Cheers, Sergio