[glue-wg] Report from DMTF Symposium

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Jul 27 11:06:25 CDT 2007

Hi everybody,

here is a report on the presentation/participation at the DTMF Symposium
last week:

1. between the DMTF and OGF there is an official collaboration described
by a "work register" that enroll OGF as an alliance partner of DMTF

2. Tom Roney is the person responsible for this liaison and he has
invited OGF persons in order to give talks at the DMTF symposium:

- OGF GLUE WG: I gave the talk
- OGF OGSA WG: Ellen Stokes
- OGF RM WG: Paul Strong
- OGF (Technical Strategy): Chris Smith

the presentation are available in the DMTF Symposium schedule:
http://www.dmtf.org/events/alliancepartners/2007_schedule/

3. as regards the GLUE talk:

- we managed to "expose" DMTF people to our problem domain
- based on the on-going work register, some DTMF member will provide
some mentoring activity in order to enable us to "cast" the GLUE model
in the context of CIM Meta-model and model
- there was some discussion on IPR policies and the best way to
collaborate seems to be in the context of official DMTF telecons
- the effort that they will be able to spend is small (probably 1
telecon a month for 2 hours)

- as regards the model, we explained the details of GLUE entities to a
relevant person in the DMTF in a side meeting and I understood that
several concepts can be already mapped into CIM
-- Site -> AdminDomain
-- Element -> AdminDomain
-- Share -> SLA
-- Resource -> Capability

4. the "Execution Environment" model defined in the context of OGSA WG
(Ellen Stokes) will be part of next CIM Core schema with a dedicated
page; GLUE could also go into that page (to be defined)

My general comment is that the overall experience was an important
event. Modeling GLUE in the context of CIM will add some overhead to our
activity, nevertheless it is worth to try.

The other important on-going activity is to evaluate how GLUE can fit
into the OGF Reference Model. There is an on-going discussion in the
context of the RM mailing list
(http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/rm-wg/2007-July/thread.html) and we'll
report as soon as we converge. You all are welcome to follow and
contribute to the discussion.

I will write another email about suggestions for next steps.

Cheers, Sergio

--
Sergio Andreozzi
INFN-CNAF,                    Tel: +39 051 609 2860